Inferno razes top floor of Dankura road Plaza
.. affects The PYRAMID Newspaper Online; Arewa TV, Kannywood artistes offices, Tailors, Driving school, others
by DANLADI BALA
An early morning inferno Monday (11/05/2020/Ramadan 17/1441) took the Kano State Fire Brigade hours to stop it engulfing the whole of a prominent Plaza and shopping complex on Dankura Adamu Road by Zoo Road. The plaza known as “Green & White Shopping Complex” hosts many shops, showrooms and offices on two floors, opposite the famed “Nagunju Tea Spot” at the extreme end of the Dankura Adamu Road where it links up with Magaji Dambatta/Zoo Road.
Our Reporter who was at the incident shortly after the blaze had been controlled quotes eyewitnesses who said the fire took no time from its initial sudden flare-up to consume all the shops and offices on the upper floor of the two storey building said to be owned by one Alhaji Sharif in the city.
Of the shops and offices upstairs, “not one was able to retrieve a single useable item. The shops and offices include that of Kannywood film artistes producing some of the famous shows on Arewa 24 TV, Tauraruwa TV and other Hausa satellite TV channels; a film editing suite, “Bajinta” a professional driving school, a Tailoring enterprise’s workshop, named ”Wamball” whose showroom is on the groundfloor and PYRAMID MEDIA, Publishers of The PYRAMID Newspaper Online, whose newsroom moved from its previous offices at Yankaba Hadeja road to the premises early March.
According to the PYRAMID MEDIA Office Executive, Muhammad Al’amin, “since the lockdown ordered by Kano state government shortly before commencement of Ramadan, the office had been under lock and key.
“In fact, on the day last week that Kano State Government relaxed the “stay at home” order I was at the office where I removed the electricity meter’s fuse so as to ensure there should be no chance of any problems in case of a power surge during the period of lockdown”.
According to the PYRAMID MEDIA Representative any details of losses can only be quantified after a thorough inventory had been taken of what had been in the modest office. But he said the “I pass my neighbour generator that supplements KEDCO had been burnt beyond redemption while all items of furniture including all office adjuncts and furnishing have been completely burnt.
“In fact even tiles on the floor and walls have been cracked up by the raging inferno. The roof over all the shops and offices were also blown off and mutilated by the fire”.
It was a wonder how God in His infinite mercy saved the ground floor. This, he said is apparently due to the efforts of the Fire Brigade team that deployed four vehicles to combat the fire.